Thursday, March 29, 2007

Poisonwood Bible Lit Circle "Judges"

For this book, I decided that I want to try the role of New Critic. This is because I wanted to find the key passages that could help me understand the book and more importantly, the characters better.

In Judges, the Price household is challenged by many obstacles. Some of them include the invasion on the ants, Ruth May's illness, and Tata Ndu's proposal for marriage. These obstacles truly make an impact on the characters, and we can see that they are slowly being weathered down, both physically and mentally. I am going to point out the passages that seemed significant because they pointed to changes in the characters.

1) "That was the last I would ever hear...hard shoe leather"(196)

2) "The Reverend seemed unconcerened about this. He forged...As if she did not know."(217)

3) "Poor tyrannical Rachel...scheme."(222)

4) "Shut up, damn it...threat at all"(242)

5) "I was shocked...of the bargain."(243)

6) "Oh! I suddenly...them."(249)

7) "Rachel went...pay."(266)

8) "Mother stood looking...Congo" (267)

9) "Well, t turns out...ball."(268)

10) "Tata Jesus is Bangala...nobody's business." (276)

No comments: