When I was six, I remember hearing the piano for the first time. At the age of six, these notes didn't really mean that much to me. After all, it was "Chopsticks". Even though I didn't really understand what I was doing, I knew that this was something I wouldn't give up. About three years later, I started learning the violin. This helped open the door to the world of violin music. Now, at the age of sixteen, I know that music is my greatest passion in life. My life outside of school revolves around music. Sometimes I ask myself the question, "Why do I love music?" I have an answer. I love music because it has the power to make my life meaningful. I believe in the power of music. Without music, I think that my life would be quite pointless.
Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff. Do these names sound familiar? These composers are my "gods", and I worship their creations. I believe that music has the power to change ones life. One of my favorite quotes came from the lips of Beethoven. He proclaimed that " “Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.” This quote shows that music is extremely emotional. It is not an art that can be ignored. When I listen to music by these composers, I feel truly at peace, as though I am in a different world. The spellbinding melodies, the relentless rhythms, they all capture my heart. In a way, music has influenced and shaped my life. I consider myself lucky because I can appreciate classical music.
One of the main reasons why I believe in the power of music is that I've had many experiences with it that I can truly call wonderful. One of the most memorable experiences was when Jahja Ling came to conduct the Honolulu Symphony last year. The main highlight of the concert was Tchaikovsky's symphony no 4. I had never heard this piece played live. Hearing this piece in person really made a significant difference. I could hear the pizzicatos even when the dynamic marking was pianissisimo. The finale was extremely exciting, the performance left nothing to be desired. It was an experience like this that really helped to me to see the power of music. It's not palpable, but it sure is there.
Music is an art that I truly enjoy and believe in. Beethoven even went so far as to say " Music is greater than all wisdom and philosophy". I might actually believe that. I believe in music.
Monday, February 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very powerful essay! Indeed...the thought of a world without music is simply inconceivable.
hey eric. this is sho. i like your essay, it's good that you chose to base your essay off music because you obviously love music, and it's so much easier to write about osmething you love. I'm not a classic music lover, but I do love music. radio music, that is. Some people don't know what the heck you're talking about. I think our essay is powerful because you are expressing your emotions that music gives you. However, you should try to help people understand how you feel. Not everyone likes music. So try find an example that others can relate to that is similar to what you are feeling. Hope this helped!
P.S. if you're wondering why the heck I am commenting you, it's because this was my HW (or so i believe)
Wow! I agree with you that music truly has the power to move people's minds. I wanted to become a musician when I was young, because I was absolutely enslaved by the sound of string instruments. However, I learned that learning music wasn't easy at all; I just decided to appreciate it instead of learning more of it!
I still love music - pop, classic, rock - any kind of genre will do.
Glad to know that you and I have a very similar interest. Your writing style is really good - your points are very relevant and persuading. Good job!
Post a Comment